Aquariums are not very easy to maintain as they need regular check. They need regular filtration and you need to be very particular about it, if you want to keep your fishes healthy. We all make mistakes and for a beginner it is very common to make mistakes while maintaining an aquarium.
Many aquariums come with pre-installed fish tank filter that are too small. Small filters are only capable of turning the water twice or thrice per hour, not more than that. However, this is too less for your fishes. A proper filter will atleast turn the water four times. So, it is always better to take a big filter than a small filter, if you really don’t want to mess with your fish’s life.
There are some of the factors that you need to remember to keep your aquarium clean and healthy for your fish are discussed below:
- Never add your fish before you add water in your aquarium. You need to stabilize your aquarium with proper amount of nitrogen and water parameter before you add fishes as fishes may die if your aquarium isn’t stable.
- One of the common misconceptions is that small aquariums are easier to maintain. Well, it is true to some extent but small aquarium means less water. Lesser the amount of water means that the water quality would also change faster than bigger aquariums that keep the water stable for long. Small aquariums need more cleaning comparatively, though it is easier to clean.
- To maintain your aquarium, you need to understand the nitrogen cycle. Many people do not understand this and ends up making the water toxic for the fishes. Feeding fishes excessively results in excessive waste material in the water, this makes the water dirty and may cause death of the fishes. Also, a lot of time people use unnecessary chemicals to clean the aquarium. This also results into toxicity of the water.
- Don’t add too many fishes to your aquarium. Adding too many fishes in an aquarium messes up with the stability. Imagine yourself in a small room with 20 people, can you even breathe properly? Same goes with the fishes. It is very important to see the nitrogen cycle before you add fishes in your aquarium.
- Don’t make your fishes overeat. The more they eat the more they will create waste. This waste disturbs the nitrogen cycle causing into deaths. Make sure you feed your fishes only once a day in the beginning, you should also check if they have eaten the food.
- Don’t be lazy to change the water frequently. People often think it is okay to change water once a week but it’s healthier when you change the water more often than once a week.
- You need to understand the difference between freshwater and saltwater aquarium. Both of has different ways of cleaning and maintain, so it is important for you to know the differences.
- Also, do not trust the pet shops blindly. They are selling their products and they won’t be as sincere as you can be with your fishes.
Lastly, be patient when it comes to maintaining aquarium. Aquarium maintenance needs your wait, whether it is to add fish, or to change water, or to wait for the bacterial plants to grow.